Friday, October 9, 2009

craft and cosplay materials review

Whether I work on crafts or cosplay, I want them to be durable. I found through trial and error that some paints and adhesives work better than others. I am NOT a fan of Gorilla Glue or regular Super Glue. The Gorilla Glue dries with a crusty opaqueness, which is fine if you want a Shabby Chic effect. It's not very strong either, so I would not recommend it for costumes. My personal favorite for fabric is Liquid Stitch. It's non-toxic, has a small-point application tip, and dries very quickly. If it gets on your skin, it will peel off easily after drying. All three of my costumes were made using a large amount of Liquid Stitch (I'm still trying to figure out the sewing machine), and the parts I used it on held together fine for the 'Cons. I sometimes use Super Glue Gel when I'm making jewelry or gluing small areas, because the Super Glue Liquid tends to run, and dries brittle and weak. It doesn't hold up in cold temperatures, either. When I need a strong glue for plastic or high-stress points, I use Household GOOP (http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives.htm) or E6000. WARNING: Use proper ventilation and read ALL the safety instructions before using these adhesives. Both kinds have strong fumes. As far as paints go, I generally use either spray paint or Delta Ceramcoat, depending on the project and the weather. NEVER spray-paint without proper ventilation, and once again, READ ALL THE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS!! Delta Ceramcoat is great, not only because it's non-toxic, but it's durable and blends well. I've had trouble with Folk Art Paint drying up in the bottle too quickly, and it doesn't mix well. If you're painting a craft or cosplay part for use outdoors, use a clearcoat acrylic spray (after reading safety instructions) after the paint has dried. This protects it from knocks, bumps, Glomps, and Over-Caffeinated CatGirl attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment