Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mold-maker and QuikSteel

I like making my own jewelry, and I came across a couple of products that make it more interesting. There is a great mold-making kit called Amazing Mold Putty by Alumilite, and I LOVE this stuff! The kit contains two containers of putty-like material, one a yellow color, the other a light gray. You take a bit of each to make enough total to cover the item you want to copy, and knead them together until it's blended. This stuff sets quickly, so blend it as fast as possible. Set the item on a plastic lid or something similiar, and cover it with the putty, working it over the item to get the details. Let it set about 30 minutes, then peel the item out of the mold. The resulting mold is like soft rubber, and picks up fine details. You can then use the mold for polymer clay, resin, and other materials. It's non-toxic and food-safe, with minimal (if any) odor. The link for this product is; http://www.amazingmoldputty.com/. They have great resin craft products, too. Another material I tried is QuikSteel, by CarGo (http://www.bluemagicusa.com/) The one I used was in a 2oz. tube, part #6002. WARNING: I advise against using QuikSteel for jewelry or crafts. This stuff has a unpleasant odor, and is more difficult to use. It is hard to clean off your hands, and dries to a dull black color. While it CAN be painted, I would only use it with embellishments that can't be baked with polymer clays. Otherwise, stick with polymer clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment