Saturday, October 3, 2009

My costumes- Shippou

I like to cosplay at anime conventions, even though I've just started. It all began when I was discussing cosplay with Britanny, who is a professional in my opinion. I was trying to figure out what chara to be, when she said, "How about Shippou, from InuYasha...?" I already had the red hair, so I started work on the costume. For the tail, I dyed a furry throw-rug from Walmart yellowish-orange, folded and stitched it along the long side, and cinched it shut at one end. I secured a beach ball inside it, to make the tail puffy. It was my pride and joy, but my REAL feat was the shirt--It was a set of teal hospital scrubs. The shirt was the right color and had the v-neck--but short sleeves. So I cut off the pant-legs, and used Liquid Stitch to attach them to the shirt to make long sleeves. This little stunt won the admiration of a judge at ToraCon 2007's cosplay contest, and she awarded me the Judge's Choice Award! The fans were great, and I got a lot of hugs and photo requests--including one of my tail. I was checking out HammerGirl Anime's merchandise table, next to a young lady dressed in a maid outfit who was chatting with a friend on her cell phone. She glanced at me, did a double-take, and told her friend on the phone, "Can I call you back...? Shippou's standing next to me, and I've GOTTA hug her...!" I have a personal policy that I don't turn down hugs from nice people... Which came in handy with my NEXT cosplay...

No comments:

Post a Comment