Sunday, February 14, 2010

Shamrock earrings






















St. Patrick's Day falls on our trip to Las Vegas, so I decided to make a pair of glitzy earrings to wear there. I bought gold-tone earring posts, superfine glitter and a package of shamrock Dress It Up 8-pack buttons (available at most craft and fabric stores) and shamrock "mardi gras" necklaces (2-pack for $1.) from the Dollar Tree. I then glued the earring posts to the top "leaf" of the shamrock with GOOP. After the glue dried, I took one of the shamrock necklaces and clipped off 4 strings of 3 shamrocks and 2 strings with 4 shamrocks, leaving the string at one end and cutting flush to the shamrock on the other. I then glued the strings to the back of the shamrocks, on the stem and bottoms of the lower leaves. When those dried, I brushed on a coating of Aleene's Tacky glue to parts where I wanted to apply glitter (4 of the shamrocks already have green glitter on the front, but the backs are white. The others are a matte dark green all around--see photo.) I covered two of the matte green ones all over with Aleene's, because I wanted to make them solid-gold glitter. I used a gold paint-pen on the last two matte-geen ones, and they came out gold antiqued with dark green (kind of a nice effect, actually...) After making the earrings, there was still an unused shamrock necklace to wear with them. If you only make one set of earrings, there'll be enough of the used necklace to make a matching bracelet. Dress It Up sets come in a full range of holidays and themes, so have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment